BizStore » Books » Doctors in Gray: The Confederate Medical Service
Brand: Brand: Louisiana State University Press
Edition: 2nd prt.
Feature: ISBN13: 9780807118566
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: LSU Press
Manufacturer: LSU Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 360
Publication Date: 1993-05-01
Publisher: LSU Press
Release Date: 1993-05-01
Studio: LSU Press
• ISBN13: 9780807118566
• Condition: New
• Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
H. H. Cunningham’s Doctors in Gray remains the definitive work on the medical history of the Confederate army. Drawing on a prodigious array of sources, Cunningham paints as complete a picture as possible of the daunting task facing those charged with caring for the war’s wounded and sick.
Of the estimated 600,000 Confederate troops, Cunningham claims that 200,000 died either from battle wounds or from illness―the majority, surprisingly, from illness. Despite these grim statistics, Confederate medical personnel frequently performed heroically under the most primitive of circumstances and made imaginative use of limited resources. Cunningham provides detailed information on the administration of the Confederate Medical Department, the establishment and organization of Confederate hospitals, the experiences of medical officers in the field, the manufacture and procurement of supplies, the causes and treatment of diseases, and the beginning of modern surgical practices.
• Doctors in Blue: The Medical History of the Union Army in the Civil War
• Bleeding Blue and Gray: Civil War Surgery and the Evolution of American Medicine
• Gangrene and Glory: Medical Care during the American Civil War
• Civil War Medicine (Illustrated Living History Series)
• Learning from the Wounded: The Civil War and the Rise of American Medical Science (Civil War America)
• The Real Horse Soldiers: Benjamin Grierson’s Epic 1863 Civil War Raid Through Mississippi
• The Encyclopedia of Civil War Medicine
• The Journal of a Civil War Surgeon
• Confederate Colonels: A Biographical Register (Shades of Blue and Gray)
• Kate : the Journal of a Confederate Nurse