BizStore » Books » Villains of All Nations: Atlantic Pirates in the Golden Age
Brand: Brand: Beacon Press
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Beacon Press
Manufacturer: Beacon Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 248
Publication Date: 2005-04-15
Publisher: Beacon Press
Release Date: 2005-04-15
Studio: Beacon Press
• Used Book in Good Condition
Villains of All Nations explores the 'Golden Age' of Atlantic piracy (1716-1726) and the infamous generation whose images underlie our modern, romanticized view of pirates.
Rediker introduces us to the dreaded black flag, the Jolly Roger; swashbuckling figures such as Edward Teach, better known as Blackbeard; and the unnamed, unlimbed pirate who was likely Robert Louis Stevenson's model for Long John Silver in Treasure Island.
This history shows from the bottom up how sailors emerged from deadly working conditions on merchant and naval ships, turned pirate, and created a starkly different reality aboard their own ships, electing their officers, dividing their booty equitably, and maintaining a multinational social order. The real lives of this motley crew-which included cross-dressing women, people of color, and the'outcasts of all nations'-are far more compelling than contemporary myth.
From the Hardcover edition.
• A General History of the Pyrates (Dover Maritime)
• The Buccaneers of America (Dover Maritime)
• Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates
• Bandits at Sea: A Pirates Reader
• The Invisible Hook: The Hidden Economics of Pirates
• Pirates in the Age of Sail (Norton Documents Reader)
• Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea: Merchant Seamen, Pirates and the Anglo-American Maritime World, 1700 - 1750
• Pirate Women: The Princesses, Prostitutes, and Privateers Who Ruled the Seven Seas
• The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Surprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates and the Man Who Brought Them Down
• The Slave Ship: A Human History