BizStore » Books » Under the Eagle: Samuel Holiday, Navajo Code Talker
Edition: First Edition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: University of Oklahoma Press
Manufacturer: University of Oklahoma Press
MPN: black & white halftones
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 280
Publication Date: 2013-08-13
Publisher: University of Oklahoma Press
Studio: University of Oklahoma Press
Samuel Holiday was one of a small group of Navajo men enlisted by the Marine Corps during World War II to use their native language to transmit secret communications on the battlefield. Based on extensive interviews with Robert S. McPherson, Under the Eagle is Holiday’s vivid account of his own story. It is the only book-length oral history of a Navajo code talker in which the narrator relates his experiences in his own voice and words.
Under the Eagle carries the reader from Holiday’s childhood years in rural Monument Valley, Utah, into the world of the United States’s Pacific campaign against Japan—to such places as Kwajalein, Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima. Central to Holiday’s story is his Navajo worldview, which shapes how he views his upbringing in Utah, his time at an Indian boarding school, and his experiences during World War II. Holiday’s story, coupled with historical and cultural commentary by McPherson, shows how traditional Navajo practices gave strength and healing to soldiers facing danger and hardship and to veterans during their difficult readjustment to life after the war.
The Navajo code talkers have become famous in recent years through books and movies that have dramatized their remarkable story. Their wartime achievements are also a source of national pride for the Navajos. And yet, as McPherson explains, Holiday’s own experience was “as much mental and spiritual as it was physical.” This decorated marine served “under the eagle” not only as a soldier but also as a Navajo man deeply aware of his cultural obligations.
• Messages from Franks Landing : a story of salmon, treaties, and the Indian way
• Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants
• Land of the Spotted Eagle, New Edition
• The Way to Rainy Mountain
• Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto
• The Toughest Indian in the World
• Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII
• Give Me Liberty!: An American History (Seagull Fourth Edition) (Vol. 2)
• Away from Home: American Indian Boarding School Experiences, 1879-2000
• The Day the World Ended at Little Bighorn: A Lakota History