BizStore » Books » Andrew Johnson: The American Presidents Series: The 17th President, 1865-1869
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Times Books
Manufacturer: Times Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 192
Publication Date: 2011-01-18
Publisher: Times Books
Release Date: 2011-01-18
Studio: Times Books
A Pulitzer Prize-winning historian recounts the tale of the unwanted president who ran afoul of Congress over Reconstruction and was nearly removed from office
Andrew Johnson never expected to be president. But just six weeks after becoming Abraham Lincoln's vice president, the events at Ford's Theatre thrust him into the nation's highest office.
Johnson faced a nearly impossible task―to succeed America's greatest chief executive, to bind the nation's wounds after the Civil War, and to work with a Congress controlled by the so-called Radical Republicans. Annette Gordon-Reed, one of America's leading historians of slavery, shows how ill-suited Johnson was for this daunting task. His vision of reconciliation abandoned the millions of former slaves (for whom he felt undisguised contempt) and antagonized congressional leaders, who tried to limit his powers and eventually impeached him.
The climax of Johnson's presidency was his trial in the Senate and his acquittal by a single vote, which Gordon-Reed recounts with drama and palpable tension. Despite his victory, Johnson's term in office was a crucial missed opportunity; he failed the country at a pivotal moment, leaving America with problems that we are still trying to solve.
• Rutherford B. Hayes
• James Buchanan: The American Presidents Series: The 15th President, 1857-1861
• Franklin Pierce: The American Presidents Series: The 14th President, 1853-1857
• Zachary Taylor: The American Presidents Series: The 12th President, 1849-1850
• Benjamin Harrison: The American Presidents Series: The 23rd President, 1889-1893
• Ulysses S. Grant: The American Presidents Series: The 18th President, 1869-1877
• James A. Garfield: The American Presidents Series: The 20th President, 1881 (American Presidents (Times))
• Chester Alan Arthur: The American Presidents Series: The 21st President, 1881-1885
• Millard Fillmore: The American Presidents Series: The 13th President, 1850-1853
• William Henry Harrison: The American Presidents Series: The 9th President,1841