BizStore » Books » Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love
Brand: Brand: Henry Holt and Co.
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Henry Holt and Co.
Manufacturer: Henry Holt and Co.
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 2004-02-04
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Studio: Henry Holt and Co.
• Used Book in Good Condition
A groundbreaking exploration of our most complex and mysterious emotion
Elation, mood swings, sleeplessness, and obsession—these are the tell-tale signs of someone in the throes of romantic passion. In this revealing new book, renowned anthropologist Helen Fisher explains why this experience—which cuts across time, geography, and gender—is a force as powerful as the need for food or sleep.
Why We Love begins by presenting the results of a scientific study in which Fisher scanned the brains of people who had just fallen madly in love. She proves, at last, what researchers had only suspected: when you fall in love, primordial areas of the brain “light up” with increased blood flow, creating romantic passion. Fisher uses this new research to show exactly what you experience when you fall in love, why you choose one person rather than another, and how romantic love affects your sex drive and your feelings of attachment to a partner. She argues that all animals feel romantic attraction, that love at first sight comes out of nature, and that human romance evolved for crucial reasons of survival. Lastly, she offers concrete suggestions on how to control this ancient passion, and she optimistically explores the future of romantic love in our chaotic modern world.
Provocative, enlightening, and persuasive, Why We Love offers radical new answers to the age-old question of what love is and thus provides invaluable new insights into keeping love alive.
• Why Him? Why Her?: Finding Real Love By Understanding Your Personality Type
• Why Him? Why Her?: How to Find and Keep Lasting Love
• Anatomy of Love: A Natural History of Mating, Marriage, and Why We Stray (Completely Revised and Updated with a New Introduction)
• Anatomy of Love: A Natural History of Mating, Marriage, and Why We Stray
• The New Psychology of Love
• The Chemistry Between Us: Love, Sex, and the Science of Attraction
• First Impressions: What You Don't Know About How Others See You
• The Psychology of Love
• Finding Your Element: How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life
• Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment