BizStore » Books » Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan: Two Volumes in One (Tuttle Classics)
Brand: Tuttle Publishing
Feature: Tuttle Publishing
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Tuttle Publishing
Manufacturer: Tuttle Publishing
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 608
Publication Date: 2016-10-18
Publisher: Tuttle Publishing
Studio: Tuttle Publishing
• Tuttle Publishing
Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan is a complete, two-volume set of one of the most outstanding books on 19th century Japanese history and culture.
Though Lafcadio Hearn went on to write a dozen more books on Japan, this collection of first impressions remains his most popular. Among the reasons is that here, more than anywhere else, the author most vividly captured a place that so affected him that he stayed for the rest of his life. The modern reader can still, through these pages, experience that "first charm of Japan, intangible and volatile as a perfume."
Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan combines two volumes of a work that first appeared in 1894. In the pages of this book are the customs, the superstitions, the charming scenery, the revelations of Japanese character, and all the other elements that Lafcadio Hearn found so bewitching. Here, for example, are essays on such subjects as the Japanese garden, the household shrine, the festivals, and the bewildering Japanese smile—all aspects of Japanese life that have endured in spite of the changes that have taken place during the modernization of Japan. The Japanese character and the Japanese tradition are still fundamentally the same as Hearn found them to be, and for this reason, his writing is still extremely revealing to modern readers.
This edition also contains a new foreword by noted writer and examiner of Japanese culture Donnie Richie that puts Lafcadio Hearn and his classic works into perspective for readers just discovering Hearn's writing for the first time.
• Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things
• Lafcadio Hearn's Japan: An Anthology of His Writings on the Country and Its People (Tuttle Classics)
• In Ghostly Japan: Spooky Stories with the Folklore, Superstitions and Traditions of Old Japan (Tuttle Classics)
• Kokoro: Hints and Echoes of Japanese Inner Life
• The Boy Who Drew Cats and Other Japanese Fairy Tales (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
• The Book of Yokai: Mysterious Creatures of Japanese Folklore
• Kaibyo: The Supernatural Cats of Japan
• Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn
• Everyday Life in Traditional Japan (Tuttle Classics)
• The Night Parade of One Hundred Demons: A Field Guide to Japanese Yokai