BizStore » Books » Traditional Literatures of the American Indian: Texts and Interpretations
Brand: Brand: University of Nebraska Press
Edition: Annotated edition
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: University of Nebraska Press
Manufacturer: University of Nebraska Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 162
Publication Date: 1981-02-01
Publisher: University of Nebraska Press
Studio: University of Nebraska Press
• Used Book in Good Condition
In American Indian societies, storytelling and speech-making are invested with special significance, crafted to reveal central psychological and social values, tensions, and ambiguities. As Karl Kroeber notes, "It is our scholarship, not Indian storytelling, that is primitive, undeveloped."
This book is an essential introduction to the study and appreciation of American Indian oral literatures. The essays, by leading scholars, illuminate the subtle artistry of form and content that gives spoken stories and myths an enduring vitality in native communities yet often makes them perplexing to outsiders. The presentation and analysis of complete oral texts, often with translations, enable the reader to grasp the meaning, purpose, and structure of the tales and to become familiar with the techniques scholars use to translate and interpret them.
This expanded edition of the widely praised collection contains a recent analysis of Wintu myth of female sexuality, a revised introduction by Karl Kroeber, a contribution by Dell Hymes, a new translation by Dennis Tedlock, and a new, annotated bibliography.
• The Way to Rainy Mountain
• Finding the Center: The Art of the Zuni Storyteller, Second Edition
• Ceremony: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
• Coyote Was Going There: Indian Literature of the Oregon Country
• Again the Far Morning: New and Selected Poems
• Four Masterworks of American Indian Literature: Quetzalcoatl, the Ritual of Condolence, Cuceb, the Night Chant
• The Sky Clears : Poetry of the American Indians
• Black Elk Speaks: The Complete Edition