BizStore » Books » Waiting for Godot: A Tragicomedy in Two Acts
Brand: Grove Press
Feature: Great product!
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Grove Press
Manufacturer: Grove Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 128
Publication Date: 2011-05-17
Publisher: Grove Press
Studio: Grove Press
• Great product!
From an inauspicious beginning at the tiny Left Bank Theatre de Babylone in 1953, followed by bewilderment among American and British audiences, Waiting for Godot has become of the most important and enigmatic plays of the past fifty years and a cornerstone of twentieth-century drama. As Clive Barnes wrote, “Time catches up with genius … Waiting for Godot is one of the masterpieces of the century.”
The story revolves around two seemingly homeless men waiting for someone—or something—named Godot. Vladimir and Estragon wait near a tree, inhabiting a drama spun of their own consciousness. The result is a comical wordplay of poetry, dreamscapes, and nonsense, which has been interpreted as mankind’s inexhaustible search for meaning. Beckett’s language pioneered an expressionistic minimalism that captured the existential post-World War II Europe. His play remains one of the most magical and beautiful allegories of our time.
• The Bald Soprano and Other Plays: The Bald Soprano; The Lesson; Jack, or the Submission; The Chairs
• Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
• The Stranger
• The Homecoming
• No Exit and Three Other Plays
• Mother Courage and Her Children
• Long Day's Journey into Night
• The Plays of Anton Chekhov
• Father Comes Home From the Wars (Parts 1, 2 & 3)
• Hamlet ( Folger Library Shakespeare)