BizStore » Books » How Computers Work (9th Edition)
Brand: White, Ron/ Downs, Timothy Edward (ILT)
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Que Publishing
Manufacturer: Que Publishing
MPN: Illustrations (chiefly col.)
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 464
Publication Date: 2007-11-24
Publisher: Que Publishing
Studio: Que Publishing
Having sold more than 2 million copies over its lifetime, How Computers Work is the definitive illustrated guide to the world of PCs and technology. In this new edition, you’ll find detailed information not just about every last component of hardware found inside your PC, but also in-depth explanations about home networking, the Internet, PC security, and even how cell phone networks operate. Whether you’re interested in how the latest graphics cards power today’s most demanding games or how a digital camera turns light into data, you’ll find your answers right here.
Ron White is a former executive editor and columnist for PC Computing, where he developed the visual concept behind How Computers Work. Founder of one of the
earliest PC user groups, he has been writing about computers for 25 years and is known for building wildly extreme computers.
Timothy Edward Downs is an award-winning magazine designer, illustrator, and photographer. He has directed and designed several national consumer, business, technology, and
lifestyle magazines, always infusing a sense of “how it works” into every project.
A full-color, illustrated adventure into the wonders of TECHNOLOOGY
This full-color, fully illustrated guide to the world of technology assumes nothing and explains everything. Only the accomplished Ron White and award-winning Tim Downs have the unique ability to meld descriptive text with one-of-a-kind visuals to fully explain how the electronic gear we depend on every day is made possible. In addition to all the content you’ve come to expect from prior editions, this newly revised edition includes all-new coverage of topics such as:
• How tablet PCs put the power of a PC quite literally in your hands
• How Windows Vista makes your Windows desktop translucent and makes your PC more secure
• How advances in optical disc technology such as dual-layer DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray discs continue to push the envelope
• How Apple’s new iPhone is revolutionizing what cell phones can do
• How BitTorrent technology enables anyone to share information with everyone
For a decade, How Computers Work has helped newbies understand new technology, while at the same time hackers and IT pros have treasured it for the depth of knowledge it contains. This is the perfect book about computing to capture your imagination, delight your eyes, and expand your mind, no matter what your technical level!
Category: General Computing
User Level: Beginning–Intermediate
• How the Internet Works (8th Edition)
• How Networks Work (7th Edition)
• C Programming Absolute Beginner's Guide (3rd Edition)
• How Software Works (How It Works)
• How Wireless Works (2nd Edition)
• How Computer Programming Works (Technology in Action Series)
• Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
• Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science, 3rd Ed.
• Introduction to Networking: How the Internet Works
• How Personal & Internet Security Works