BizStore » Books » Junk Type: Typography - Lettering - Badges - Logos
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Pages: 192
Publication Date: 2017-04-04
Release Date: 2017-04-04
A graphic compendium of vintage American design and typography.
Junk Type is a project driven by the passion of one man to document a disappearing aspect of American culture. Bill Rose—aka Recapturist—is a photographer and designer who has spent the last decade traveling across America looking for junkyards, yard sales, antique stores, and other unlikely sources of inspiration to capture examples of postwar American typography and design before they’re lost forever.
Bringing together more than 400 images, this invaluable book is a visual history of postwar America, told through the distinct typography, icons, badges, and branding of the country’s industrial heritage. From Art Deco–inspired fonts and unique handmade cursive lettering to illustrated insignia and clean graphic logos bearing the influence of European design of the 1960s, these pictures together represent an encyclopedic reference of creative typefaces and graphics.
With each photograph representing just a detail—an embossed logo, a specially created icon, or an advertising slogan—this book captures the optimism and pragmatism of a golden age of American industrial creativity and distills it into a charming resource for anyone with an eye (or nostalgia) for vintage design.
• House Industries: The Process Is the Inspiration
• Brand by Hand: Blisters, Calluses, and Clients: A Life in Design
• Draplin Design Co.: Pretty Much Everything
• The ABC of Custom Lettering: A Practical Guide to Drawing Letters
• The Art of Lettering: Perfectly Imperfect Hand-Crafted Type Design
• The Golden Secrets of Lettering: Letter Design from First Sketch to Final Artwork
• Custom Lettering of the 20s and 30s
• In Progress: See Inside a Lettering Artist's Sketchbook and Process, from Pencil to Vector
• Vintage Type and Graphics: An Eclectic Collection of Typography, Ornament, Letterheads, and Trademarks from 1896 to 1936
• Logo Modernism (English, French and German Edition)