BizStore » Books » Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 232
Publication Date: 2011-04-04
This is a unique, eye-witness account of everyday life right at the heart of the Nazi extermination machine.
Slomo Venezia was born into a poor Jewish-Italian community living in Thessaloniki, Greece. At first, the occupying Italians protected his family; but when the Germans invaded, the Venezias were deported to Auschwitz. His mother and sisters disappeared on arrival, and he learned, at first with disbelief, that they had almost certainly been gassed. Given the chance to earn a little extra bread, he agreed to become a ‘Sonderkommando', without realising what this entailed. He soon found himself a member of the ‘special unit' responsible for removing the corpses from the gas chambers and burning their bodies.
Dispassionately, he details the grim round of daily tasks, evokes the terror inspired by the man in charge of the crematoria, ‘Angel of Death' Otto Moll, and recounts the attempts made by some of the prisoners to escape, including the revolt of October 1944.
It is usual to imagine that none of those who went into the gas chambers at Auschwitz ever emerged to tell their tale - but, as a member of a ‘Sonderkommando', Shlomo Venezia was given this horrific privilege. He knew that, having witnessed the unspeakable, he in turn would probably be eliminated by the SS in case he ever told his tale. He survived: this is his story.
• Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chambers (Published in association with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum)
• Five Chimneys: A Woman Survivor's True Story of Auschwitz
• Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account
• Doctors from Hell: The Horrific Account of Nazi Experiments on Humans
• Auschwitz Escape - The Klara Wizel Story
• Children of the Flames: Dr. Josef Mengele and the Untold Story of the Twins of Auschwitz
• Death Dealer: The Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz
• We Wept Without Tears: Testimonies of the Jewish Sonderkommando from Auschwitz
• The Good Old Days: The Holocaust as Seen by Its Perpetrators and Bystanders
• The Last Jew of Treblinka: A Memoir