BizStore » Books » Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx
Brand: Scribner Book Company
Edition: 2nd printing
Feature: Scribner Book Company
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 432
Publication Date: 2004-02-10
Release Date: 2004-02-10
• Scribner Book Company
This New York Times bestseller intimately depicts urban life in a gripping book that slips behind cold statistics and sensationalism to reveal the true sagas lurking behind the headlines of gangsta glamour.
In her extraordinary bestseller, Adrian Nicole LeBlanc immerses readers in the intricacies of the ghetto, revealing the true sagas lurking behind the headlines of gangsta glamour, gold-drenched drug dealers, and street-corner society. Focusing on two romances—Jessica’s dizzying infatuation with a hugely successful young heroin dealer, Boy George, and Coco’s first love with Jessica's little brother, Cesar—Random Family is the story of young people trying to outrun their destinies. Jessica and Boy George ride the wild adventure between riches and ruin, while Coco and Cesar stick closer to the street, all four caught in a precarious dance between survival and death. Friends get murdered; the DEA and FBI investigate Boy George; Cesar becomes a fugitive; Jessica and Coco endure homelessness, betrayal, the heartbreaking separation of prison, and, throughout it all, the insidious damage of poverty.
Charting the tumultuous cycle of the generations—as girls become mothers, boys become criminals, and hope struggles against deprivation—LeBlanc slips behind the cold statistics and sensationalism and comes back with a riveting, haunting, and true story.
• The Journalist and the Murderer
• Doing Family Therapy, Third Edition: Craft and Creativity in Clinical Practice
• Remembering Reet and Shine: Two Black Men, One Struggle
• The Family Crucible: The Intense Experience of Family Therapy (Perennial Library)
• Opposing Ambitions: Gender and Identity in an Alternative Organization
• Gender Play: Girls and Boys in School (Studies of Great Texts in Science)
• All the President's Men
• The Essentials of Family Therapy (6th Edition)
• Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions, Updated with 2014 ACA Codes (Book Only)
• You Knew Me When