BizStore » Books » Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked
Brand: Penguin Books
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Penguin Books
Manufacturer: Penguin Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 368
Publication Date: 2018-03-06
Publisher: Penguin Books
Release Date: 2018-03-06
Studio: Penguin Books
“One of the most mesmerizing and important books I’ve read in quite some time. Alter brilliantly illuminates the new obsessions that are controlling our lives and offers the tools we need to rescue our businesses, our families, and our sanity.” —Adam Grant, New York Times bestselling author of Originals and Give and Take
Welcome to the age of behavioral addiction—an age in which half of the American population is addicted to at least one behavior. We obsess over our emails, Instagram likes, and Facebook feeds; we binge on TV episodes and YouTube videos; we work longer hours each year; and we spend an average of three hours each day using our smartphones. Half of us would rather suffer a broken bone than a broken phone, and Millennial kids spend so much time in front of screens that they struggle to interact with real, live humans.
In this revolutionary book, Adam Alter, a professor of psychology and marketing at NYU, tracks the rise of behavioral addiction, and explains why so many of today's products are irresistible. Though these miraculous products melt the miles that separate people across the globe, their extraordinary and sometimes damaging magnetism is no accident. The companies that design these products tweak them over time until they become almost impossible to resist.
By reverse engineering behavioral addiction, Alter explains how we can harness addictive products for the good—to improve how we communicate with each other, spend and save our money, and set boundaries between work and play—and how we can mitigate their most damaging effects on our well-being, and the health and happiness of our children.
Adam Alter's previous book, Drunk Tank Pink: And Other Unexpected Forces that Shape How We Think, Feel, and Behave is available in paperback from Penguin.
• The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
• Drunk Tank Pink: And Other Unexpected Forces That Shape How We Think, Feel, and Behave
• Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction Is Hijacking Our Kids - and How to Break the Trance
• Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength
• Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
• Disconnected: How To Reconnect Our Digitally Distracted Kids
• The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
• Teach Yourself How to Learn: Strategies You Can Use to Ace Any Course at Any Level
• Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other
• iGen: Why Today's Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy--and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood--and What That Means for the Rest of Us