BizStore » Books » Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys' Club of Silicon Valley
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 2018-02-06
Release Date: 2018-02-06
Instant National Bestseller
"Excellent." --San Francisco Chronicle
"Brotopia is more than a business book. Silicon Valley holds extraordinary power over our present lives as well as whatever utopia (or nightmare) might come next." --New York Times
Silicon Valley is a modern utopia where anyone can change the world. Unless you're a woman.
For women in tech, Silicon Valley is not a fantasyland of unicorns, virtual reality rainbows, and 3D-printed lollipops, where millions of dollars grow on trees. It's a "Brotopia," where men hold all the cards and make all the rules. Vastly outnumbered, women face toxic workplaces rife with discrimination and sexual harassment, where investors take meetings in hot tubs and network at sex parties.
In this powerful exposé, Bloomberg TV journalist Emily Chang reveals how Silicon Valley got so sexist despite its utopian ideals, why bro culture endures despite decades of companies claiming the moral high ground (Don't Be Evil! Connect the World!)--and how women are finally starting to speak out and fight back.
Drawing on her deep network of Silicon Valley insiders, Chang opens the boardroom doors of male-dominated venture capital firms like Kleiner Perkins, the subject of Ellen Pao's high-profile gender discrimination lawsuit, and Sequoia, where a partner once famously said they "won't lower their standards" just to hire women. Interviews with Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki, and former Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer--who got their start at Google, where just one in five engineers is a woman--reveal just how hard it is to crack the Silicon Ceiling. And Chang shows how women such as former Uber engineer Susan Fowler, entrepreneur Niniane Wang, and game developer Brianna Wu, have risked their careers and sometimes their lives to pave a way for other women.
Silicon Valley's aggressive, misogynistic, work-at-all costs culture has shut women out of the greatest wealth creation in the history of the world. It's time to break up the boys' club. Emily Chang shows us how to fix this toxic culture--to bring down Brotopia, once and for all.
• Reset: My Fight for Inclusion and Lasting Change
• Broad Band: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the Internet
• Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech
• Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility
• Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup
• That's What She Said: What Men Need to Know (and Women Need to Tell Them) About Working Together
• The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
• A Uterus Is a Feature, Not a Bug: The Working Woman's Guide to Overthrowing the Patriarchy
• Automating Inequality: How High-Tech Tools Profile, Police, and Punish the Poor
• The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World