BizStore » Books » Capitalism: A Short History
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Princeton University Press
Manufacturer: Princeton University Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 208
Publication Date: 2017-11-14
Publisher: Princeton University Press
Studio: Princeton University Press
In this authoritative and accessible book, one of the world's most renowned historians provides a concise and comprehensive history of capitalism within a global perspective from its medieval origins to the 2008 financial crisis and beyond. From early commercial capitalism in the Arab world, China, and Europe, to nineteenth- and twentieth-century industrialization, to today’s globalized financial capitalism, Jürgen Kocka offers an unmatched account of capitalism, one that weighs its great achievements against its great costs, crises, and failures. Based on intensive research, the book puts the rise of capitalist economies in social, political, and cultural context, and shows how their current problems and foreseeable future are connected to a long history.
Sweeping in scope, the book describes how capitalist expansion was connected to colonialism; how industrialism brought unprecedented innovation, growth, and prosperity but also increasing inequality; and how managerialism, financialization, and globalization later changed the face of capitalism. The book also addresses the idea of capitalism in the work of thinkers such as Marx, Weber, and Schumpeter, and chronicles how criticism of capitalism is as old as capitalism itself, fed by its persistent contradictions and recurrent emergencies.
Authoritative and accessible, Capitalism is an enlightening account of a force that has shaped the modern world like few others.
• Global Economic History: A Very Short Introduction
• The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times And Ideas Of The Great Economic Thinkers, Seventh Edition
• The Commanding Heights : The Battle for the World Economy
• After Tamerlane: The Rise and Fall of Global Empires, 1400-2000
• What Is a Border?
• The Relentless Revolution: A History of Capitalism (Norton Paperback)
• What Is Global History?
• Capital in the Twenty-First Century
• The Pursuit of Power: Technology, Armed Force, and Society since A.D. 1000
• Behemoth: A History of the Factory and the Making of the Modern World