BizStore » Books » Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'N' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood
BizStore » Book
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'N' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood
Brand: Biskind, Peter
Edition: 1st Touchstone Ed
Feature: Simon Schuster
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Simon & Schuster
Manufacturer: Simon & Schuster
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 512
Publication Date: 1999-04-04
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: 1999-04-04
Studio: Simon & Schuster
• Simon Schuster
When the low-budget biker movie Easy Rider shocked Hollywood with its success in 1969, a new Hollywood era was born. This was an age when talented young filmmakers such as Scorsese, Coppola, and Spielberg, along with a new breed of actors, including De Niro, Pacino, and Nicholson, became the powerful figures who would make such modern classics as The Godfather, Chinatown, Taxi Driver, and Jaws. Easy Riders, Raging Bulls follows the wild ride that was Hollywood in the '70s -- an unabashed celebration of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll (both onscreen and off) and a climate where innovation and experimentation reigned supreme. Based on hundreds of interviews with the directors themselves, producers, stars, agents, writers, studio executives, spouses, and ex-spouses, this is the full, candid story of Hollywood's last golden age.
MARTIN SCORSESE ON DRUGS: "I did a lot of drugs because I wanted to do a lot, I wanted to push all the way to the very very end, and see if I could die."
DENNIS HOPPER ON EASY RIDER: "The cocaine problem in the United States is really because of me. There was no cocaine before Easy Rider on the street. After Easy Rider, it was everywhere."
GEORGE LUCAS ON STAR WARS: "Popcorn pictures have always ruled. Why do people go see them? Why is the public so stupid? That's not my fault."
• Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film
• Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood
• On Directing Film
• Shooting to Kill: How an Independent Producer Blasts Through the Barriers to Make Movies that Matter
• Making Movies
• In the Blink of an Eye: A Perspective on Film Editing, 2nd Edition
• On Film-making: An Introduction to the Craft of the Director
• CIty of Nets: A Portrait of Hollywood in the 1940's
• Rebel without a Crew: Or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
• Hollywood's Last Golden Age: Politics, Society, and the Seventies Film in America