BizStore » Books » In Cold Blood
Brand: Truman Capote
Feature: Great book!
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 343
Publication Date: 1994-02-01
Release Date: 1994-02-01
• Great book!
As Truman Capote reconstructs the murder and the investigation that led to the capture, trial, and execution of the killers, he generates both mesmerizing suspense and astonishing empathy. In Cold Blood is a work that transcends its moment, yielding poignant insights into the nature of American violence.
"Until one morning in mid-November of 1959, few Americans--in fact, few Kansans--had ever heard of Holcomb. Like the waters of the river, like the motorists on the highway, and like the yellow trains streaking down the Santa Fe tracks, drama, in the shape of exceptional happenings, had never stopped there." If all Truman Capote did was invent a new genre--journalism written with the language and structure of literature--this "nonfiction novel" about the brutal slaying of the Clutter family by two would-be robbers would be remembered as a trail-blazing experiment that has influenced countless writers. But Capote achieved more than that. He wrote a true masterpiece of creative nonfiction. The images of this tale continue to resonate in our minds: 16-year-old Nancy Clutter teaching a friend how to bake a cherry pie, Dick Hickock's black '49 Chevrolet sedan, Perry Smith's Gibson guitar and his dreams of gold in a tropical paradise--the blood on the walls and the final "thud-snap" of the rope-broken necks.
• The Things They Carried
• The Great Gatsby
• Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel (Modern Library 100 Best Novels)
• The Bluest Eye (Vintage International)
• The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America
• The Crucible: A Play in Four Acts
• Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
• The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder
• Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang
• Invisible Man