BizStore » Books » The Gnostic Gospels
Feature: Great product!
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 182
Publication Date: 1989-09-19
Release Date: 1989-09-19
• Great product!
A provocative study of the gnostic gospels and the world of early Christianity as revealed through the Nag Hammadi texts.
Gnosticism's Christian form grew to prominence in the 2nd century A.D. Ultimately denounced as heretical by the early church, Gnosticism proposed a revealed knowledge of God ("gnosis" meaning "knowledge" in Greek), held as a secret tradition of the apostles. In The Gnostic Gospels, author Elaine Pagels suggests that Christianity could have developed quite differently if Gnostic texts had become part of the Christian canon. Without a doubt: Gnosticism celebrates God as both Mother and Father, shows a very human Jesus's relationship to Mary Magdalene, suggests the Resurrection is better understood symbolically, and speaks to self-knowledge as the route to union with God. Pagels argues that Christian orthodoxy grew out of the political considerations of the day, serving to legitimize and consolidate early church leadership. Her contrast of that developing orthodoxy with Gnostic teachings presents an intriguing trajectory on a world faith as it "might have become." The Gnostic Gospels provides engaging reading for those seeking a broader perspective on the early development of Christianity. --F. Hall
• The Nag Hammadi Scriptures: The Revised and Updated Translation of Sacred Gnostic Texts Complete in One Volume
• Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas
• The Origin of Satan: How Christians Demonized Jews, Pagans, and Heretics
• The Gnostic Bible: Revised and Expanded Edition
• The Gnostic Gospels: Including the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Mary Magdalene (Sacred Texts)
• The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
• Revelations: Visions, Prophecy, and Politics in the Book of Revelation
• Gnosticism: New Light on the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing
• Adam, Eve, and the Serpent: Sex and Politics in Early Christianity
• The Gnostic Gospels of Jesus: The Definitive Collection of Mystical Gospels and Secret Books about Jesus of Nazareth