BizStore » Books » Desert Solitaire
Brand: Simon & Schuster
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 288
Publication Date: 1990-01-15
Release Date: 1990-01-15
Hailed by The New York Times as “a passionately felt, deeply poetic book,” the moving autobiographical work of Edward Abbey, considered the Thoreau of the American West, and his passion for the southwestern wilderness.
Desert Solitaire is a collection of vignettes about life in the wilderness and the nature of the desert itself by park ranger and conservationist, Edward Abbey. The book details the unique adventures and conflicts the author faces, from dealing with the damage caused by development of the land or excessive tourism, to discovering a dead body. However Desert Solitaire is not just a collection of one man’s stories, the book is also a philosophical memoir, full of Abbey’s reflections on the desert as a paradox, at once beautiful and liberating, but also isolating and cruel. Often compared to Thoreau’s Walden, Desert Solitaire is a powerful discussion of life’s mysteries set against the stirring backdrop of the American southwestern wilderness.
Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire, the noted author's most enduring nonfiction work, is an account of Abbey's seasons as a ranger at Arches National Park outside Moab, Utah. Abbey reflects on the nature of the Colorado Plateau desert, on the condition of our remaining wilderness, and on the future of a civilization that cannot reconcile itself to living in the natural world. He also recounts adventures with scorpions and snakes, obstinate tourists and entrenched bureaucrats, and, most powerful of all, with his own mortality. Abbey's account of getting stranded in a rock pool down a side branch of the Grand Canyon is at once hilarious and terrifying.
• The Monkey Wrench Gang (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
• Desert Cabal: A New Season in the Wilderness
• Wilderness, The Gateway To The Soul: Spiritual Enlightenment Through Wilderness
• Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West
• The Best of Edward Abbey
• A Sand County Almanac (Outdoor Essays & Reflections)
• My Dog Tulip: Movie tie-in edition (New York Review Books Classics)
• Fire on the Mountain
• The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon
• A Sand County Almanac: And Sketches Here and There (Outdoor Essays & Reflections)