BizStore » Books » Becoming Naturally Therapeutic: A Return To The True Essence Of Helping
Brand: Brand: Bantam
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 176
Publication Date: 1990-01-01
Release Date: 1989-12-01
• Used Book in Good Condition
Already a classic in the alcohol treatment and counseling communities, here is a life-changing guide for anyone in a therapeutic relationship—whether a professional counselor, a teacher, a parent, or a friend.
Based on studies that pinpoint the characteristics of the most effective therapists, Becoming Naturally Therapeutic shows you how to help those you care about by opening your heart and releasing the healer within. A nationally known pioneer in the area of addiction and transpersonal psychology, Jacquelyn Small shows you how to emphasize without enabling, how to care without controlling, and how by helping others in a genuine spirit of giving you invariably help yourself. She teaches how the true art of therapy lives within us all.
• The ten characteristics—from empathy and warmth to immediacy and concreteness—that all counselors need to discover within themselves.
• How to overcome patterns of toxic relating—the pitfalls of the preacher, judge, teacher, or savior that are barriers to true intimacy.
• The principle of helpful confrontation: when to use it and how.
• How to “straight-talk” beyond codependent ways of helping and point those in need to their own inner strength.
Complete with practical exercises and sample dialogues, this clear and compassionate guide will help you let go and become the natural healer you are meant to be.
• Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am?
• Loosening the Grip: A Handbook of Alcohol Information
• Becoming an Addictions Counselor: A Comprehensive Text
• Counseling and Therapy Skills, Fourth Edition
• Boundaries: Where You End and I Begin— - How to Recognize and Set Healthy Boundaries
• Substance Abuse Counseling (SW 393R 23-Treatment of Chemical Dependency)
• Self-Hypnosis: The Complete Manual for Health and Self-Change
• The Addiction Recovery Skills Workbook: Changing Addictive Behaviors Using CBT, Mindfulness, and Motivational Interviewing Techniques (New Harbinger Self-help Workbooks)
• Power, Resistance and Liberation in Therapy with Survivors of Trauma: To Have Our Hearts Broken
• Hooked: Five Addicts Challenge Our Misguided Drug Rehab System