BizStore » Books » Hogan
Edition: 1st Broadway Books trade pbk. ed
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Three Rivers Press
Manufacturer: Three Rivers Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 306
Publication Date: 1997-05-05
Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Release Date: 1997-05-05
Studio: Three Rivers Press
Ben Hogan won four U.S. Opens in six years, three of them after a near-fatal head-on automobile collision. Driven by an obsessive dedication to the game, legend has it, he practiced until his hands bled. The concentration and precision he exhibited on the course awed spectators and fellow players alike.
In this extraordinary book--the first full-scale biography of the enigmatic Hogan in twenty years--Curt Sampson explores the milestones of Hogan's life--his father's suicide, his miraculous comeback after his brush with death, his many triumphs on the Tour. Sampson draws on interviews with fellow golf legends Byron Nelson, Jack Nicklaus, and Sam Snead to present an in-depth portrait of a man with bullet-proof confidence and singlemindedness, a man who turned the negatives he encountered into a life of glory and achievement.
The great Ben Hogan cast a long and complex shadow. A complicated and misunderstood man, he was so consumed with the solitary pursuit of excellence that the camaraderie of his game passed him by. Yet, he was utterly revered--for his consistency, his perseverance, his dedication, his mystery, and his courage. He was the one golfer his fellow golfers held in awe. Curt Sampson does a fine job of hacking through the rough of the Hogan mystique in search of the enigma who held the world at arm's length. His biography of Bantam Ben is as probing as it is solid; it aims for the man, and finds the bottom of the cup.
• The Eternal Summer: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Hogan in 1960, Golf's Golden Year
• Ben Hogan: An American Life
• The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia
• The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever
• Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
• Tiger Woods
• Power Golf
• Ben Hogan: The Myths Everyone Knows, the Man No One Knew
• Afternoons with Mr. Hogan: A Boy, A Golfing Legend and the Lessons of a Lifetime
• A Course Called Scotland: Searching the Home of Golf for the Secret to Its Game