BizStore » Books » The Woman's Hour: The Great Fight to Win the Vote
Edition: First Edition
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 416
Publication Date: 2018-03-06
Release Date: 2018-03-06
The nail-biting climax of one of the greatest political battles in American history: the ratification of the constitutional amendment that granted women the right to vote.
"Weiss is a clear and genial guide with an ear for telling language ... She also shows a superb sense of detail, and it's the deliciousness of her details that suggests certain individuals warrant entire novels of their own... Weiss's thoroughness is one of the book's great strengths. So vividly had she depicted events that by the climactic vote (spoiler alert: The amendment was ratified!), I got goose bumps."--Curtis Sittenfeld, The New York Times Book Review
Nashville, August 1920. Thirty-five states have ratified the Nineteenth Amendment, twelve have rejected or refused to vote, and one last state is needed. It all comes down to Tennessee, the moment of truth for the suffragists, after a seven-decade crusade. The opposing forces include politicians with careers at stake, liquor companies, railroad magnates, and a lot of racists who don't want black women voting. And then there are the "Antis"--women who oppose their own enfranchisement, fearing suffrage will bring about the moral collapse of the nation. They all converge in a boiling hot summer for a vicious face-off replete with dirty tricks, betrayals and bribes, bigotry, Jack Daniel's, and the Bible.
Following a handful of remarkable women who led their respective forces into battle, along with appearances by Woodrow Wilson, Warren Harding, Frederick Douglass, and Eleanor Roosevelt, The Woman's Hour is an inspiring story of activists winning their own freedom in one of the last campaigns forged in the shadow of the Civil War, and the beginning of the great twentieth-century battles for civil rights.
• Votes for Women!: American Suffragists and the Battle for the Ballot
• Roses and Radicals: The Epic Story of How American Women Won the Right to Vote
• Suffragists in Washington, DC: The 1913 Parade and the Fight for the Vote (American Heritage)
• The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels
• The Little Book of Feminist Saints
• Gilded Suffragists: The New York Socialites who Fought for Women's Right to Vote
• Varina: A Novel
• Chasing Hillary: Ten Years, Two Presidential Campaigns, and One Intact Glass Ceiling
• Agatha Christie: A Mysterious life
• Fascism: A Warning