BizStore » Books » The Time Machine (Dover Thrift Editions)
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Dover Publications
Manufacturer: Dover Publications
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 80
Publication Date: 1995-04-03
Publisher: Dover Publications
Release Date: 1995-04-03
Studio: Dover Publications
English novelist, historian and science writer Herbert George Wells (1866–1946) abandoned teaching and launched his literary career with a series of highly successful science-fiction novels. The Time Machine was the first of a number of these imaginative literary inventions. First published in 1895, the novel follows the adventures of a hypothetical Time Traveller who journeys into the future to find that humanity has evolved into two races: the peaceful Eloi — vegetarians who tire easily — and the carnivorous, predatory Morlocks.
After narrowly escaping from the Morlocks, the Time Traveller undertakes another journey even further into the future where he finds the earth growing bitterly cold as the heat and energy of the sun wane. Horrified, he returns to the present, but soon departs again on his final journey.
While the novel is underpinned with both Darwinian and Marxist theory and offers fascinating food for thought about the world of the future, it also succeeds as an exciting blend of adventure and pseudo-scientific romance. Sure to delight lovers of the fantastic and bizarre, The Time Machine is a book that belongs on the shelf of every science-fiction fan.
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Wordsworth Classics)
• Journey to the Center of the Earth (Dover Thrift Editions)
• H. G. Wells: The War of the Worlds
• The Shadow Club
• The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Dover Thrift Editions)
• The Mysterious Island (Wordsworth Classics)
• The Island of Dr. Moreau (Dover Thrift Editions)
• The War of the Worlds (Illustrated by Henrique Alvim Correa)
• The Fifth Child
• The Lost World (Dover Thrift Editions)