BizStore » Books » The Dore Bible Illustrations
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Dover Publications
Manufacturer: Dover Publications
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 256
Publication Date: 1974-06-01
Publisher: Dover Publications
Release Date: 1974-06-01
Studio: Dover Publications
Nowhere but in the Bible were dramatic textual material and the artistry of Gustave Doré more perfectly matched. The Book of Books seemed to unleash a new power of creation in Doré not apparent in his previous work. In the Creation scenes, the horrifying visions of the Flood, the battle sequences with their monumental crowds, the plates depicting the life of Jesus — many of which have now become the standard iconography — and finally the vision of the New Jerusalem, Doré reached the fullest expressions of his extraordinary talent.
This book collects all 241 plates — long out of print — that Doré executed for the Bible. In these plates, reproduced from outstanding early editions, the artist not only captures the dramatic intensity of the Scriptures, but sustains it longer than any other single artist was able to do. In addition, Doré reimagined all the scenes, so that what he produced was not a mere reworking of what centuries of other artists had already done, but a new and fresh visual interpretation of the Bible.
Each plate is accompanied by the verses from the Authorized (King James) Version of the Bible that the scene depicts, and an Introduction by Millicent Rose covers Doré's life and art in general. This is a sumptuous book that everyone, from those interested in Scripture to lovers of great art, will be proud to possess.
• The Dore Illustrations for Dante's Divine Comedy (136 Plates by Gustave Dore)
• Dore's Illustrations for "Paradise Lost" (Dover Pictorial Archives)
• Dore's Illustrations of the Crusades (Dover Pictorial Archives)
• Doré's Illustrations for Don Quixote (Dover Fine Art, History of Art)
• The Dore Gallery: His 120 Greatest Illustrations (Dover Pictorial Archives)
• Doré's Dragons, Demons and Monsters (Dover Fine Art, History of Art)
• Doré's Knights and Medieval Adventure (Dover Fine Art, History of Art)
• The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
• The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer (Dover Fine Art, History of Art)
• Treasury of Bible Illustrations: Old and New Testaments (Dover Pictorial Archive)