BizStore » Books » Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: John Wiley & Sons
Manufacturer: John Wiley & Sons
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 584
Publication Date: 1969-06-01
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons
Studio: John Wiley & Sons
The study of the nature of human consciousness, a dormant and often taboo topic in psychology, is once again developing into a respected field of inquiry. This is the first book to provide a broad scientific point of view for the investigation of a variety of special states of consciousness.
The editor combines a humanistic approach, which includes an awareness of the great potential richness in human experience indicated by ASCs, with the disciplined precision of a scientist. He brings a professional point of view to the observation of the increasingly widespread use and resultant effects of drug, Yoga, self-hypnosis, and other means of producing ASCs which are popularly regarded as comprising either a major social problem or a sign of positive change in a materialistic civilization.
Studies of ASCs produced by psychedlic drugs, for example, are placed in this book within a broad, illuminating perspective that includes papers on mystical experiences, hypnagogic (between waking and sleeping) states, dream consciousness, meditation, hypnosis, and brain wave feedback-produced states.
In this volume, Professor Tart has brought together 35 scientific papers which illustrate the variety of ASCs and their effects, which describe some of the techniques, both ancient and modern, for producing ASCs and, perhaps most important, which show that ASCs can be studied scientifically without destroying their inherent human richness.
• Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
• How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence
• The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell
• Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World: An Identification Guide
• Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms
• Altered States of Consciousness
• Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution
• Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story
• Real Magic: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe
• Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion