BizStore » Books » Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings
Label: John Wiley & Sons
Manufacturer: John Wiley & Sons
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 584
Publication Date: 1969-06-01
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons
Studio: John Wiley & Sons
The study of the nature of human consciousness, a dormant and often taboo topic in psychology, is once again developing into a respected field of inquiry. This is the first book to provide a broad scientific point of view for the investigation of a variety of special states of consciousness.
The editor combines a humanistic approach, which includes an awareness of the great potential richness in human experience indicated by ASCs, with the disciplined precision of a scientist. He brings a professional point of view to the observation of the increasingly widespread use and resultant effects of drug, Yoga, self-hypnosis, and other means of producing ASCs which are popularly regarded as comprising either a major social problem or a sign of positive change in a materialistic civilization.
Studies of ASCs produced by psychedlic drugs, for example, are placed in this book within a broad, illuminating perspective that includes papers on mystical experiences, hypnagogic (between waking and sleeping) states, dream consciousness, meditation, hypnosis, and brain wave feedback-produced states.
In this volume, Professor Tart has brought together 35 scientific papers which illustrate the variety of ASCs and their effects, which describe some of the techniques, both ancient and modern, for producing ASCs and, perhaps most important, which show that ASCs can be studied scientifically without destroying their inherent human richness.
• The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell
• Altered States of Consciousness
• Transpersonal Psychologies: Perspectives on the Mind from Seven Great Spiritual Traditions
• Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms
• DMT: The Spirit Molecule: A Doctor's Revolutionary Research into the Biology of Near-Death and Mystical Experiences
• Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution
• Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World: An Identification Guide
• The Observing Self: Mysticism and Psychotherapy
• Them and Us: Cult Thinking and the Terrorist Threat
• Frontiers of Psychedelic Consciousness: Conversations with Albert Hofmann, Stanislav Grof, Rick Strassman, Jeremy Narby, Simon Posford, and Others