BizStore » Books » A Carver Policy Governance Guide, Ends and the Ownership
Edition: Volume 2
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 40
Publication Date: 2009-04-13
The Carver Policy Governance® Guide series includes sixbooklets that offer board members a description of John Carver'sPolicy Governance model of board leadership. Policy Governanceenables a board to fulfill its accountability to its organization's"owners," whether the owners are association members, cityresidents, company shareholders, or a community of interest. PolicyGovernance addresses the board's engagement in financial,programmatic, and personnel matters; roles of officers andcommittees; reporting and evaluation; agendas; and other aspects ofthe board job.
Ends and the Ownership helps boards distinguish between what anorganization is for and what it does (ends versus means)—abasic feature of the innovative Policy Governance model. Thisimportant guide also discusses the concept of ownership andincludes sample policies that can help board members effectivelyprioritize and govern.
The Policy Governance model is based on the functions ratherthan the structure of a governing board. It outlines commonsenseprinciples about governing that fit together into an entire system.The practices of the Policy Governance board, which are consistentwith the principles, allow it to control without meddling, focus onlong-term organizational outputs, powerfully delegate to a CEO andstaff, and discharge its fiduciary responsibility in a visionary,strategic manner. Because the model is a total system, the CarverPolicy Governance Guide series offers boards a complete set ofprinciples for fulfilling their various obligations.
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide, The Policy Governance Model and the Role of the Board Member (Volume 1)
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide, Evaluating CEO and Board Performance (J-B Carver Board Governance Series) (Volume 5)
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide: Implementing Policy Governance and Staying on Track (Volume 6)
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide, Adjacent Leadership Roles: CGO and CEO (Volume 4)
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide, The Governance of Financial Management (Volume 3)
• Reinventing Your Board: A Step-by-Step Guide to Implementing Policy Governance
• Boards That Make a Difference: A New Design for Leadership in Nonprofit and Public Organizations
• Getting Started with Policy Governance: Bringing Purpose, Integrity and Efficiency to Your Board's Work
• Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief, 2nd edition (Roberts Rules of Order in Brief)
• John Carver on Board Leadership