BizStore » Books » A Carver Policy Governance Guide, Ends and the Ownership
Edition: Volume 2
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 40
Publication Date: 2009-04-13
The Carver Policy Governance® Guide series includes six booklets that offer board members a description of John Carver's Policy Governance model of board leadership. Policy Governance enables a board to fulfill its accountability to its organization's "owners," whether the owners are association members, city residents, company shareholders, or a community of interest. Policy Governance addresses the board's engagement in financial, programmatic, and personnel matters; roles of officers and committees; reporting and evaluation; agendas; and other aspects of the board job.
Ends and the Ownership helps boards distinguish between what an organization is for and what it does (ends versus means)—a basic feature of the innovative Policy Governance model. This important guide also discusses the concept of ownership and includes sample policies that can help board members effectively prioritize and govern.
The Policy Governance model is based on the functions rather than the structure of a governing board. It outlines commonsense principles about governing that fit together into an entire system. The practices of the Policy Governance board, which are consistent with the principles, allow it to control without meddling, focus on long-term organizational outputs, powerfully delegate to a CEO and staff, and discharge its fiduciary responsibility in a visionary, strategic manner. Because the model is a total system, the Carver Policy Governance Guide series offers boards a complete set of principles for fulfilling their various obligations.
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide, The Policy Governance Model and the Role of the Board Member (Volume 1)
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide, Evaluating CEO and Board Performance (J-B Carver Board Governance Series) (Volume 5)
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide: Implementing Policy Governance and Staying on Track (Volume 6)
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide, Adjacent Leadership Roles: CGO and CEO (Volume 4)
• A Carver Policy Governance Guide, The Governance of Financial Management (Volume 3)
• Reinventing Your Board: A Step-by-Step Guide to Implementing Policy Governance
• Boards That Make a Difference: A New Design for Leadership in Nonprofit and Public Organizations
• Getting Started with Policy Governance: Bringing Purpose, Integrity and Efficiency to Your Board's Work
• The Board Member's Playbook: Using Policy Governance to Solve Problems, Make Decisions, and Build a Stronger Board
• John Carver on Board Leadership