BizStore » Books » Seabiscuit: An American Legend
Brand: Ballantine Books
Feature: Great product!
Is Autographed: 0
Is Memorabilia: 0
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Ballantine Books
Manufacturer: Ballantine Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 399
Publication Date: 2002-03-26
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Release Date: 2002-03-26
Studio: Ballantine Books
• Great product!
Laura Hillenbrand, author of the runaway phenomenon Unbroken, brilliantly re-creates a universal underdog story in this #1 New York Times bestseller.
Seabiscuit was one of the most electrifying and popular attractions in sports history and the single biggest newsmaker in the world in 1938, receiving more coverage than FDR, Hitler, or Mussolini. But his success was a surprise to the racing establishment, which had written off the crooked-legged racehorse with the sad tail. Three men changed Seabiscuit’s fortunes:
Charles Howard was a onetime bicycle repairman who introduced the automobile to the western United States and became an overnight millionaire. When he needed a trainer for his new racehorses, he hired Tom Smith, a mysterious mustang breaker from the Colorado plains. Smith urged Howard to buy Seabiscuit for a bargain-basement price, then hired as his jockey Red Pollard, a failed boxer who was blind in one eye, half-crippled, and prone to quoting passages from Ralph Waldo Emerson. Over four years, these unlikely partners survived a phenomenal run of bad fortune, conspiracy, and severe injury to transform Seabiscuit from a neurotic, pathologically indolent also-ran into an American sports icon.
From the Hardcover edition.
• The Best American Sports Writing 2013 (The Best American Series ®)
• The Horse God Built: The Untold Story of Secretariat, the World's Greatest Racehorse
• The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game
• Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
• The Scarlet Letter (Dover Thrift Study Edition)
• In Good Company: The Fast Track from the Corporate World to Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience
• PRENTICE HALL LITERATURE 2010 READERS NOTEBOOK ADAPTED GRADE 12
• The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, The Horse That Inspired a Nation
• Prentice Hall Literature 2012 Common Core Student Edition Grade 12