BizStore » Books » Orality and Literacy: 30th Anniversary Edition (New Accents)
Brand: Walter J Ong
Feature: Orality and Literacy The Technologizing of the Word
Format: Special Edition
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 264
Publication Date: 2012-11-03
Release Date: 2012-09-27
• Orality and Literacy The Technologizing of the Word
Walter J. Ong’s classic work provides a fascinating insight into the social effects of oral, written, printed and electronic technologies, and their impact on philosophical, theological, scientific and literary thought.
This thirtieth anniversary edition – coinciding with Ong’s centenary year – reproduces his best-known and most influential book in full and brings it up to date with two new exploratory essays by cultural writer and critic John Hartley.
These illuminating essays contextualize Ong within recent intellectual history, and display his work’s continuing force in the ongoing study of the relationship between literature and the media, as well as that of psychology, education and sociological thought.
• Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
• The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
• The Muse Learns to Write: Reflections on Orality and Literacy from Antiquity to the Present
• Television: Technology and Cultural Form (Routledge Classics) (Volume 124)
• Speaking into the Air: A History of the Idea of Communication
• Revolutions in Communication: Media History from Gutenberg to the Digital Age
• Understanding Social Media (Understanding Contemporary Culture series)
• Life: The Movie: How Entertainment Conquered Reality
• PR! - A Social History of Spin
• The Master Switch: The Rise and Fall of Information Empires