BizStore » Books » The Prince (Norton Critical Editions)
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 1992-05-17
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
Robert M. Adams’s superb translation of Machiavelli’s best-known work is again the basis for this Norton Critical Edition.Accurate, highly readable, and thoroughly revised for the Second Edition, this translation renders Machiavelli’s 1513 political tract into clear and concise English.
"Backgrounds" relies entirely upon Machiavelli’s other writings to place this central Florentine in his proper political and historical context. Included are excerpts from The Discourses, a report from a diplomatic mission, a collection of private letters, and two poems from Carnival Songs.
"Interpretations" retains three of the previous edition’s seminal essays while adding five selections by Felix Gilbert, Federico Chabod, J. H. Whitfield, Isaiah Berlin, and Robert M. Adams.
"Marginalia" is an eclectic collection of writings germane to both Machiavelli and The Prince. Of the eight selections represented, five of them are new to the Second Edition, including Pasquale Villari’s comic portrayal of Machiavelli’s first diplomatic post in 1499, Francesco Guicciardini’s lofty rebuttal to Machiavelli, and a collection of Tuscan Sayings to further the reader’s understanding of this timeless text.
An updated Selected Bibliography is also included.
• Praise of Folly (Penguin Classics)
• The Portable Greek Historians: The Essence of Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybius (Viking Portable Library)
• The Portable Dante (Penguin Classics)
• Utopia (Penguin Classics)
• The Essential Aeneid (Hackett Classics)
• The Portable Enlightenment Reader (Portable Library)
• Inferno (Bantam Classics)
• Second Treatise of Government (Hackett Classics)
• Rousseau: The Basic Political Writings: Discourse on the Sciences and the Arts, Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Discourse on Political Economy, ... Contract, The State of War (Hackett Classics)
• The Complete Essays of Montaigne