BizStore » Books » The Praise of Folly and Other Writings (Norton Critical Editions)
Brand: Erasmus, Desiderius
Edition: 1st ed
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 352
Publication Date: 1989-10-17
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
This Norton Critical Edition provides a wide selection of Erasmus’s writings, translated from the Latin into fresh, modern English.Besides the celebrated Praise of Folly, Robert M. Adams has included the political "Complaint of Peace," the brutal antipapal satire "Julius Excluded from Heaven," two versions of Erasmus’s important preface to the Latin translation of the New Testament, and a selection both serious and comic of his Colloquies and his letters. Adams has made these selections to emphasize the humane, rather than the doctrinaire, side of the first and arguably greatest humanist.
Critical commentary is provided in essays by H. R. Trevor-Roper, R. S. Allen, J. Huizinga, Mikhail Bakhtin, Paul Oskar Kristeller, and Robert M. Adams.
Also included are a Chronology of Erasmus’s life and a Selected Bibliography.
• Utopia (Penguin Classics)
• Martin Luther : Selections From His Writings
• The Book of the Courtier (Penguin Classics)
• The Institutes of Christian Religion
• The Prince (Norton Critical Editions)
• The Renaissance Philosophy of Man: Petrarca, Valla, Ficino, Pico, Pomponazzi, Vives (Phoenix Books)
• Paradiso (Bantam Classics)
• The Essays: A Selection (Penguin Classics)
• Two Lives of Charlemagne (Penguin Classics)
• Gargantua and Pantagruel (Penguin Classics)