BizStore » Books » Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 240
Publication Date: 2017-10-10
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Release Date: 2017-10-10
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
A revealing look at how tech industry bias and blind spots get baked into digital products―and harm us all.
Buying groceries, tracking our health, finding a date: whatever we want to do, odds are that we can now do it online. But few of us ask why all these digital products are designed the way they are. It’s time we change that. Many of the services we rely on are full of oversights, biases, and downright ethical nightmares: Chatbots that harass women. Signup forms that fail anyone who’s not straight. Social media sites that send peppy messages about dead relatives. Algorithms that put more black people behind bars.
Sara Wachter-Boettcher takes an unflinching look at the values, processes, and assumptions that lead to these and other problems. Technically Wrong demystifies the tech industry, leaving those of us on the other side of the screen better prepared to make informed choices about the services we use―and demand more from the companies behind them.
• Automating Inequality: How High-Tech Tools Profile, Police, and Punish the Poor
• Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism
• Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy
• Reset: My Fight for Inclusion and Lasting Change
• Personal Connections in the Digital Age (Digital Media and Society)
• Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost Its Edge in Computing (History of Computing)
• Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys' Club of Silicon Valley
• The Tyranny of Metrics
• Who Can You Trust?: How Technology Brought Us Together and Why It Might Drive Us Apart
• The Rise of Big Data Policing: Surveillance, Race, and the Future of Law Enforcement