BizStore » Books » The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies
BizStore » Book
The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies
Feature: W. W. Norton & Company
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 336
Publication Date: 2016-01-25
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Release Date: 2016-01-25
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
• W. W. Norton & Company
A New York Times Bestseller. A “fascinating” (Thomas L. Friedman, New York Times) look at how digital technology is transforming our work and our lives.In recent years, Google’s autonomous cars have logged thousands of miles on American highways and IBM’s Watson trounced the best human Jeopardy! players. Digital technologies―with hardware, software, and networks at their core―will in the near future diagnose diseases more accurately than doctors can, apply enormous data sets to transform retailing, and accomplish many tasks once considered uniquely human.
In The Second Machine Age MIT’s Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee―two thinkers at the forefront of their field―reveal the forces driving the reinvention of our lives and our economy. As the full impact of digital technologies is felt, we will realize immense bounty in the form of dazzling personal technology, advanced infrastructure, and near-boundless access to the cultural items that enrich our lives.
Amid this bounty will also be wrenching change. Professions of all kinds―from lawyers to truck drivers―will be forever upended. Companies will be forced to transform or die. Recent economic indicators reflect this shift: fewer people are working, and wages are falling even as productivity and profits soar.
Drawing on years of research and up-to-the-minute trends, Brynjolfsson and McAfee identify the best strategies for survival and offer a new path to prosperity. These include revamping education so that it prepares people for the next economy instead of the last one, designing new collaborations that pair brute processing power with human ingenuity, and embracing policies that make sense in a radically transformed landscape.
A fundamentally optimistic book, The Second Machine Age alters how we think about issues of technological, societal, and economic progress.
• Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future
• The Industries of the Future
• Machine, Platform, Crowd: Harnessing Our Digital Future
• All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan
• The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future
• The Two-Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Parents Are (Still) Going Broke
• Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy
• Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World
• Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era
• Shaping the Fourth Industrial Revolution