BizStore » Books » Intuition Pumps And Other Tools for Thinking
Brand: Dennett Daniel C
Feature: Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 512
Publication Date: 2014-05-05
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
• Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking
“The best new book I’ve read.”―Richard Dawkins, New York Times Book ReviewOver a storied career, Daniel C. Dennett has engaged questions about science and the workings of the mind. His answers have combined rigorous argument with strong empirical grounding. And a lot of fun.
Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking offers seventy-seven of Dennett’s most successful "imagination-extenders and focus-holders" meant to guide you through some of life’s most treacherous subject matter: evolution, meaning, mind, and free will. With patience and wit, Dennett deftly deploys his thinking tools to gain traction on these thorny issues while offering readers insight into how and why each tool was built.
Alongside well-known favorites like Occam’s Razor and reductio ad absurdum lie thrilling descriptions of Dennett’s own creations: Trapped in the Robot Control Room, Beware of the Prime Mammal, and The Wandering Two-Bitser. Ranging across disciplines as diverse as psychology, biology, computer science, and physics, Dennett’s tools embrace in equal measure light-heartedness and accessibility as they welcome uninitiated and seasoned readers alike. As always, his goal remains to teach you how to "think reliably and even gracefully about really hard questions."
A sweeping work of intellectual seriousness that’s also studded with impish delights, Intuition Pumps offers intrepid thinkers―in all walks of life―delicious opportunities to explore their pet ideas with new powers.25 illustrations
• From Bacteria to Bach and Back: The Evolution of Minds
• Consciousness Explained
• Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
• DARWIN'S DANGEROUS IDEA: EVOLUTION AND THE MEANINGS OF LIFE
• Talk Lean: Shorter Meetings. Quicker Results. Better Relations.
• Biopiracy: The Plunder of Nature and Knowledge
• A Discourse on the Method (Oxford World's Classics)
• Brainstorms: Philosophical Essays on Mind and Psychology
• Elbow Room: The Varieties of Free Will Worth Wanting (MIT Press)
• Blood Libel in Late Imperial Russia: The Ritual Murder Trial of Mendel Beilis (Indiana-Michigan Series in Russian and East European Studies)