BizStore » Books » The Woman Who Fell from The Sky: Poems
Edition: Revised ed.
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 88
Publication Date: 1996-08-17
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
Joy Harjo, one of this country's foremost Native American voices, combines elements of storytelling, prayer, and song, informed by her interest in jazz and by her North American tribal background, in this, her fourth volume of poetry.She draws from the Native American tradition of praising the land and the spirit, the realities of American culture, and the concept of feminine individuality.
Along with N. Scott Momaday, John Trudell, and very few others, Joy Harjo is an essential Native American literary voice. She counts among her devoted readers Marge Piercy, Adrienne Rich, and Sandra Cisneros; her writing is infused with a generosity of spirit that accounts for much of her appeal. Dancing children, the attempt to heal a broken life, rising moons, and blue horses turning into streaks of lightning are the images Harjo uses to spin her yarns, and her words are spellbinding. Her talent is manifest in "A Postcolonial Tale": "Every day is a reenactment of the creation story. We emerge from dense unspeakable material, through the shimmering power of dreaming stuff." And in "Wolf Warrior": "A white butterfly speckled with pollen joined me in my prayers yesterday as I thought of you in Washington." There is a lot of magic and a lot of hope woven through the dark backdrop of the poems in The Woman Who Fell from the Sky. Harjo is a treasure.
• Conflict Resolution for Holy Beings: Poems
• Love Medicine: Newly Revised Edition (P.S.)
• Crazy Brave: A Memoir
• The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven (20th Anniversary Edition)
• Fools Crow (Penguin Classics)
• She Had Some Horses: Poems
• After and Before the Lightning (Sun Tracks)
• How We Became Human: New and Selected Poems 1975-2002
• Popol Vuh: The Definitive Edition of The Mayan Book of The Dawn of Life and The Glories of Gods and Kings