BizStore » Books » Shame and Pride: Affect, Sex, and the Birth of the Self
Brand: Nathanson, Donald L.
Feature: W W Norton Company
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 496
Publication Date: 1994-03-17
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
• W W Norton Company
This is a revolutionary book about the nature of emotion, about the way emotions are triggered in our private moments, in our relations with others, and by our biology.Drawing on every theme of the modern life sciences, Donald Nathanson shows how nine basic affects―interest-excitement, enjoyment-joy, surprise-startle, fear-terror, distress-anguish, anger-rage, dissmell, disgust, and shame-humiliation―not only determine how we feel but shape our very sense of self.
For too long those who explain emotional discomfort on the basis of lived experience and those who blame chemistry have been at loggerheads. As Dr. Nathanson shows, chemicals and illnesses can affect our mood just as surely as an uncomfortable memory or a stern rebuke. Linking for the first time the affect theory of the pioneering researcher Silvan S. Thomkins with the entire world of biology, medicine, psychology, psychotherapy, religion, and the social sciences, Dr. Nathanson presents a completely new understanding of all emotion.
• Power and Innocence: A Search for the Sources of Violence
• To Be and How to Be: Transforming Your Life through Sacred Theatre
• Healing Through the Dark Emotions: The Wisdom of Grief, Fear, and Despair
• Understanding Psychopathology: An Integral Exploration (Merrill Counseling)
• Principles and Practice of Expressive Arts Therapy: Toward a Therapeutic Aesthetics
• Shame: The Power of Caring
• The Speech of the Grail: A Journey toward Speaking that Heals & Transforms (Studies in Imagination)
• By Linda Sussman The Speech of the Grail: A Journey Toward Speaking That Heals and Transforms (Studies in Imagination (1st First Edition) [Paperback]
• The Expressive Body in Life, Art, and Therapy: Working with Movement, Metaphor and Meaning
• Art as Medicine : Creating a Therapy of the Imagination