BizStore » Books » Shame and Pride: Affect, Sex, and the Birth of the Self
Brand: Nathanson, Donald L.
Feature: W W Norton Company
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 496
Publication Date: 1994-03-17
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
• W W Norton Company
This is a revolutionary book about the nature of emotion, about the way emotions are triggered in our private moments, in our relations with others, and by our biology.Drawing on every theme of the modern life sciences, Donald Nathanson shows how nine basic affects―interest-excitement, enjoyment-joy, surprise-startle, fear-terror, distress-anguish, anger-rage, dissmell, disgust, and shame-humiliation―not only determine how we feel but shape our very sense of self.
For too long those who explain emotional discomfort on the basis of lived experience and those who blame chemistry have been at loggerheads. As Dr. Nathanson shows, chemicals and illnesses can affect our mood just as surely as an uncomfortable memory or a stern rebuke. Linking for the first time the affect theory of the pioneering researcher Silvan S. Thomkins with the entire world of biology, medicine, psychology, psychotherapy, religion, and the social sciences, Dr. Nathanson presents a completely new understanding of all emotion.
• To Be and How to Be: Transforming Your Life through Sacred Theatre
• The Discerning Heart: The Developmental Psychology of Robert Kegan
• Power and Innocence: A Search for the Sources of Violence
• Freeing the Soul from Fear
• Healing the Shame that Binds You (Recovery Classics)
• The Speech of the Grail: A Journey toward Speaking that Heals & Transforms (Studies in Imagination)
• The Father: Historical, Psychological and Cultural Perspectives
• The Sibling Society: An Impassioned Call for the Rediscovery of Adulthood
• The Many Faces of Shame
• Shame: The Power of Caring