BizStore » Books » The Metropolitan Opera: Stories of the Great Operas (Vol. 1) (v. 1)
Feature: ISBN13: 9780393018882
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 584
Publication Date: 1984-11-17
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
• ISBN13: 9780393018882
• Condition: New
• Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
Whether for quick, pre-performance reference or an evening of browsing through favorite stories, this volume is an invaluable addition to every opera-lover's library.Here at last is the definitive opera story collection, the only one now authorized by the Metropolitan Opera. Written by the associate editor of Opera News magazine, the volume includes the complete plots of 150 different operas, biographical information on all of the 72 composers represented, easy access to the stories through both a table of contents and an index, and a foreword by Peter Allen.
Even with the advent of surtitles and Met titles, intelligent operagoers have an idea of what's going to transpire on stage before they attend a performance. The Metropolitan Opera: Stories of the Great Operas, by veteran Opera News writer-critic-editor John W. Freeman, is a good way to pick up such knowledge. Freeman offers brief composer biographies (72 of them), relevant background, and the basics on who's who and what happens in each of 150 operas. His writing is unambiguous, succinct, and informative. The Metropolitan Opera will prove useful to both operatic newcomers and experienced opera attendees.
• The Grove Book of Operas
• The Book of 101 Opera Librettos: Complete Original Language Texts with English Translations
• 100 Great Operas And Their Stories: Act-By-Act Synopses
• Mozart: The Magic Flute (Metropolitan Opera)
• The New Milton Cross' Complete Stories of the Great Operas
• The Metropolitan Opera Guide to Recorded Opera
• The Metropolitan Opera Guide to Opera on Video
• Elijah: An Oratorio for Full Chorus of Mixed Voices, Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone Soli (Double Solo Quartet of Mixed Voices) and Piano (G. Schirmer's Editions of Oratorios and Cantatas)