BizStore » Books » Unbroken (The Young Adult Adaptation): An Olympian's Journey from Airman to Castaway to Captive
BizStore » Book
Unbroken (The Young Adult Adaptation): An Olympian's Journey from Airman to Castaway to Captive
Brand: WaterBrook Press
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 2017-04-25
Release Date: 2017-04-25
In this captivating and lavishly illustrated young adult edition of her award-winning #1 New York Times bestseller, Laura Hillenbrand tells the story of a former Olympian's courage, cunning, and fortitude following his plane crash in enemy territory. This adaptation of Unbroken introduces a new generation to one of history's most thrilling survival epics.
On a May afternoon in 1943, an American military plane crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary sagas of the Second World War.
The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. As a boy, he had been a clever delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and stealing. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a supreme talent that carried him to the Berlin Olympics. But when war came, the athlete became an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.
Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a sinking raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would respond to desperation with ingenuity, suffering with hope and humor, brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would hang on the fraying wire of his will.
Featuring more than one hundred photographs plus an exclusive interview with Zamperini, this breathtaking odyssey—also captured on film by director Angelina Jolie—is a testament to the strength of the human spirit and the ability to endure against the unlikeliest of odds.
Praise for Unbroken
"This adaptation of Hillenbrand's adult bestseller is highly dramatic and exciting, as well as painful to read as it lays bare man's hellish inhumanity to man."—Booklist, STARRED
"This captivating book emphasizes the importance of determination, the will to survive against impossible odds, and support from family and friends. A strong, well-written work."—SLJ
"This fine adaptation ably brings an inspiring tale to young readers."—Kirkus
• The Boys in the Boat (Young Readers Adaptation): The True Story of an American Team's Epic Journey to Win Gold at the 1936 Olympics
• The Finest Hours (Young Readers Edition): The True Story of a Heroic Sea Rescue (True Storm Rescues)
• Flags of Our Fathers: A Young People's Edition
• The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, Young Reader's Edition
• No Better Friend: Young Readers Edition: A Man, a Dog, and Their Incredible True Story of Friendship and Survival in World War II
• Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two
• Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
• I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World (Young Readers Edition)
• The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
• I Am a SEAL Team Six Warrior: Memoirs of an American Soldier