BizStore » Books » The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia
Brand: Sampson, Curt
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 265
Publication Date: 1999-03-16
Release Date: 1999-03-16
An illuminating holiday gift for any golf fan!
The Masters golf tournament weaves a hypnotic spell. It is the toughest ticket in sports, with black-market tickets selling for $10,000 and more. Success at Augusta National breeds legends, while failure can overshadow even the most brilliant of careers. But as Curt Sampson, author of the bestselling Hogan, reveals in The Masters, a cold heart beats behind the warm antebellum façade of this famous Augusta course. And that heart belongs to the man who killed himself on the grounds two decades ago. Club and tournament founder Clifford Roberts, a New York stockbroker, still seems to run the place from his grave. An elusive and reclusive figure, Roberts pulled the strings that made the Masters the greatest golf tournament in the world. His story—including his relationship with presidents, power brokers, and every golf champion from Bobby Jones to Arnold Palmer to Jack Nicklaus—has never been told. Until now.
The Masters is an amazing slice of history, taking us inside the presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower, Augusta's most famous member. It is a look at how the new South coexists with the old South: the relationships between blacks and whites, between Southerners and Northerners, between rich and poor—with such characters as James Brown, the Godfather of Soul; the great boxer Beau Jack; and Frank Stranahan, the playboy golfer and the only white pro ever banned from the tournament. The Masters is a spellbinding portrait of a tournament unlike any other.
• Men in Green
• Slaying the Tiger: A Year Inside the Ropes on the New PGA Tour
• The Making of the Masters: Clifford Roberts, Augusta National, and Golf's Most Prestigious Tournament
• The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever
• Making the Masters: Bobby Jones and the Birth of America's Greatest Golf Tournament
• A Life Well Played: My Stories (Commemorative Edition)
• The Eternal Summer: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Hogan in 1960, Golf's Golden Year
• A Good Walk Spoiled: Days and Nights on the PGA Tour
• The First Major: The Inside Story of the 2016 Ryder Cup
• Tiger Woods