BizStore » Books » The Essential Conversation: What Parents and Teachers Can Learn from Each Other
Brand: Lawrence-Lightfoot, Sara
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Ballantine Books
Manufacturer: Ballantine Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 256
Publication Date: 2004-09-28
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Release Date: 2004-09-28
Studio: Ballantine Books
With the insights she has gleaned from her close and subtle observation of parent-teacher conferences, renowned Harvard University professor Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot has written a wise, useful book about the ways in which parents and teachers can make the most of their essential conversation—the dialogue between the most vital people in a child’s life.
“The essential conversation” is the crucial exchange that occurs between parents and teachers—a dialogue that takes place more than one hundred million times a year across our country and is both mirror of and metaphor for the larger cultural forces that define family-school relationships and shape the development of our children. Participating in this twice-yearly ritual, so friendly and benign in its apparent goals, parents and teachers are often wracked with anxiety. In a meeting marked by decorum and politeness, they frequently exhibit wariness and assume defensive postures. Even though the conversation appears to be focused on the student, adults may find themselves playing out their own childhood histories, insecurities, and fears.
Through vivid portraits and parables, Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot captures the dynamics of this complex, intense relationship from the perspective of both parents and teachers. She also identifies new principles and practices for improving family-school relationships. In a voice that combines the passion of a mother, the skepticism of a social scientist, and the keen understanding of one of our nation’s most admired educators, Lawrence-Lightfoot offers penetrating analysis and an urgent call to arms for all those who want to act in the best interests of their children.
For parents and teachers who seek productive dialogues and collaborative alliances in support of the learning and growth of their children, this book will offer valuable insights, incisive lessons, and deft guidance on how to communicate more effectively. In The Essential Conversation, Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot brings scholarship, warmth, and wisdom to an immensely important cultural subject—the way we raise our children.
From the Hardcover edition.
• Beyond the Bake Sale: The Essential Guide to Family/school Partnerships
• A Cord of Three Strands: A New Approach to Parent Engagement in Schools
• Interactions: Collaboration Skills for School Professionals (7th Edition)
• Science Is...: A source book of fascinating facts, projects and activities
• Collaborative Teaming: Teachers' Guides To Inclusive Practices
• Even More Picture-Perfect Science Lessons: Using Children's Books to Guide Inquiry, K 5 - PB186X3
• Helping Children Learn Mathematics
• Creating Welcoming Schools: A Practical Guide to Home-School Partners with Diverse Families
• The Pre-K Debates: Current Controversies and Issues
• Improving Reading: Strategies, Resources and Common Core Connections