BizStore » Books » For the Love of Ireland: A Literary Companion for Readers and Travelers
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Ballantine Books
Manufacturer: Ballantine Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 480
Publication Date: 2001-02-13
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Release Date: 2001-02-13
Studio: Ballantine Books
Welcome to the Ireland of its Writers
Walk the streets of Dublin with Jonathan Swift, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, and Roddy Doyle. Contemplate the wild glens of Wicklow with John Millington Synge and Seamus Heaney. Wander the thrilling Cliffs of Moher with Wallace Stevens. Visit antic Limerick with Frank McCourt; mysterious Coole Park with Lady Gregory; breathtaking Sligo with William Butler Yeats; wild Donegal with Brien Friel; and hidden Clare with Edna O'Brien.
No place has inspired more great literature than Ireland, which in each new generation gives birth to an astonishing number of poets, storytellers, and dramatists. For the literary pilgrim to arrive, book in hand, at the pub where Joyce set a scene or the mountain where Yeats imagined a myth is to uncover fresh meaning in the works of writers in love with their native landscape.
In For the Love of Ireland, Susan Cahill offers the jewels of Irish literature. Each selection is followed by traveler's advice on how to find and fully experience the place that's about. Whether you take this book with you to Ireland or savor it in your armchair, you will be enriched, ennobled, and entertained by writers of remarkable range and at the top of their form.
• A Traveller's History of Ireland
• DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Ireland
• A Brief History of Ireland
• DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Ireland
• Michelin Ireland Map 712 (Maps/Country (Michelin))
• The Book of Kells: An Illustrated Introduction to the Manuscript in Trinity College, Dublin (Second Edition)
• How the Irish Saved Civilization: The Untold Story of Ireland's Heroic Role From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of Medieval Europe (The Hinges of History)
• Rick Steves Ireland 2016
• Ireland: A Novel
• 101 Things You Didn't Know About Irish History: The People, Places, Culture, and Tradition of the Emerald Isle