BizStore » Books » Beyond Literary Analysis: Teaching Students to Write with Passion and Authority About Any Text
BizStore » Book
Beyond Literary Analysis: Teaching Students to Write with Passion and Authority About Any Text
Item Dimensions: Array
Manufacturer Maximum Age: 17
Manufacturer Minimum Age: 14
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 272
Publication Date: 2018-01-22
Release Date: 2018-01-22
Allison Marchetti and Rebekah O'Dell invite you to join them on a transformational journey. Out of the dark tunnel of boring literary analysis assignments, they lead you into a world where students learn to write fresh, compelling, authentic arguments based on their own unique interests. "There is a place for analysis of literature in our classrooms," they write. "But we think there is more. In this book, we invite you to explore your teaching of analytical writing from a new perspective. To open your mind to the real world of analytical writing, and challenge traditional notions about what students should be analyzing and how they should write it."
Allison and Rebekah offer a broadened definition of analysis for the 21st century classroom. "Analysis is everywhere," they argue. "It's about video games and athletes' seasons, and the latest album, or the new Netflix series." This new definition of "text" allows students to tap into their passions-and learn to write with expertise on topics that matter to them. "No matter where your students begin as writers-full of confidence or full of avoidance-unleashing them to explore the topics and texts they are passionate about can transform your classroom and transform their writing."
With samples throughout the book, you'll see what students of all levels and experiences can do when they're supported with mentor texts, targeted writing instruction, and the opportunity to write beyond literary analysis.
• 180 DAYS: Two Teachers and the Quest to Engage and Empower Adolescents
• A Novel Approach: Whole-Class Novels, Student-Centered Teaching, and Choice
• Writing with Mentors: How to Reach Every Writer in the Room Using Current, Engaging Mentor Texts
• Reimagining Writing Assessment: From Scales to Stories
• Hacking the Writing Workshop: Redesign with Making in Mind (Hack Learning Series) (Volume 16)
• Being the Change: Lessons and Strategies to Teach Social Comprehension
• Embarrassment: And the Emotional Underlife of Learning
• Project-Based Writing: Teaching Writers to Manage Time and Clarify Purpose
• Long Way Down
• The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives