BizStore » Books » We Are the Nerds: The Birth and Tumultuous Life of Reddit, the Internet's Culture Laboratory
BizStore » Book
We Are the Nerds: The Birth and Tumultuous Life of Reddit, the Internet's Culture Laboratory
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Hachette Books
Manufacturer: Hachette Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 512
Publication Date: 2018-10-02
Publisher: Hachette Books
Release Date: 2018-10-02
Studio: Hachette Books
A riveting look inside Reddit, the wildly popular, often misunderstood website, whose intensely-engaged users have changed the culture of the Internet--"a must-read for anyone hoping to make sense of the century ahead" (Ashlee Vance, bestselling author of Elon Musk).
Reddit hails itself as "the front page of the Internet." It's the third most-visited website in the United States--and yet, millions of Americans have no idea what it is.
We Are the Nerds is an engrossing look deep inside this captivating, maddening enterprise, whose army of obsessed users have been credited with everything from solving cold case crimes and spurring tens of millions of dollars in charitable donations to seeding alt-right fury and landing Donald Trump in the White House. We Are the Nerds is a gripping start-up narrative: the story of how Reddit's founders, Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian, rose up from their suburban childhoods to become millionaires and create an icon of the digital age--before seeing the site engulfed in controversies and nearly losing control of it for good.
Based on Christine Lagorio-Chafkin's exclusive access to founders Ohanian and Huffman, We Are the Nerds is also a compelling exploration of the way we all communicate today--and how we got here. Reddit and its users have become a mirror of the Internet: it has dingy corners, shiny memes, malicious trolls, and a sometimes heart-melting ability to connect people across cultures, oceans, and ideological divides.
• Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
• The Messy Middle: Finding Your Way Through the Hardest and Most Crucial Part of Any Bold Venture
• Who Is Michael Ovitz?
• How the Internet Happened: From Netscape to the iPhone
• Stubborn Attachments: A Vision for a Society of Free, Prosperous, and Responsible Individuals
• The Personality Brokers: The Strange History of Myers-Briggs and the Birth of Personality Testing
• High Growth Handbook
• It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
• AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
• Civil War Barons: The Tycoons, Entrepreneurs, Inventors, and Visionaries Who Forged Victory and Shaped a Nation