BizStore » Books » Yiddish with Dick and Jane
Brand: Weiner, Ellis/ Davilman, Barbara/ Payn, Gabi (ILT)
Edition: 1st Edition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Little, Brown and Company
Manufacturer: Little, Brown and Company
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 112
Publication Date: 2004-09-13
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Studio: Little, Brown and Company
Jane is in real estate.
Today is Saturday.
Jane has an open house.
She must schlep the Open House signs to the car.
See Jane schlep.
Schlep, Jane. Schlep.
Schlep, schlep, schlep.
In text that captures the unque rhythms of the original Dick and Jane readers, and in 35 all-new illustrations, a story unfolds in which Dick and Jane--hero and heroine of the classic books for children that generations of Americans have used when learning to read--manage to express shades of feeling and nuances of meaning that ordinary English just can't deliver. How? By speaking Yiddish, employing terms that convey an attitude--part plucky self-assertion, part ironic fatalism. When Dick schmoozes, when Jane kvetches, when their children fress noodles at a Chinese restaurant, the clash of cultures produces genuine hilarity.
• How to Raise a Jewish Dog
• Jewish as a Second Language: How to Worry, How to Interrupt, How to Say the Opposite of What You Mean
• Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language and Culture in All of Its Moods (P.S.)
• Yiddish with George and Laura
• Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning Yiddish
• Dirty Yiddish: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to "F*%# Off!" (Dirty Everyday Slang)
• The New Joys of Yiddish: Completely Updated
• Yiddish for Dogs: Chutzpah, Feh!, Kibbitz, and More: Every Word Your Canine Needs to Know
• Yiddish Wisdom: Humor and Heart from the Old Country
• Bad Rabbi: And Other Strange but True Stories from the Yiddish Press (Stanford Studies in Jewish History and Culture)