BizStore » Books » Ways of Dying: A Novel
Feature: Great product!
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 224
Publication Date: 2002-08-01
Release Date: 2002-08-01
• Great product!
Winner of the M-Net Book Prize
In Ways of Dying, Zakes Mda's acclaimed first novel, Toloki is a "professional mourner" in a vast and violent city of the new South Africa. Day after day he attends funerals in the townships, dressed with dignity in a threadbare suit, cape, and battered top hat, to comfort the grieving families of the victims of the city's crime, racial hatred, and crippling poverty. At a Christmas day funeral for a young boy Toloki is reunited with Noria, a woman from his village. Together they help each other to heal the past, and as their story interweaves with those of their acquaintances this elegant short novel provides a magical and painful picture of South Africa today.
Ways of Dying was awarded South Africa's prestigious M-Net Book Prize, awarded by the TV channel M-Net to books written in one of South Africa's official languages, and was shortlisted for the Central News Agency (CNA) Award and the Noma Award, an Africa-wide prize founded by Shoichi Noma, onetime president of Kodansha International.
• Disgrace: A Novel
• Welcome to Our Hillbrow: A Novel of Postapartheid South Africa (Modern African Writing Series)
• July's People
• It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Crafting Killer Sentences
• Cry, the Beloved Country
• Country of My Skull: Guilt, Sorrow, and the Limits of Forgiveness in the New South Africa
• Em and the Big Hoom: A Novel
• You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town (Women Writing Africa)
• Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela
• Lucy: A Novel