BizStore » Books » Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man
Brand: The MIT Press
Feature: Great product!
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: The MIT Press
Manufacturer: The MIT Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 392
Publication Date: 1994-10-20
Publisher: The MIT Press
Studio: The MIT Press
• Great product!
This reissue of Understanding Media marks the thirtieth anniversary (1964-1994) of Marshall McLuhan's classic expose on the state of the then emerging phenomenon of mass media. Terms and phrases such as "the global village" and "the medium is the message" are now part of the lexicon, and McLuhan's theories continue to challenge our sensibilities and our assumptions about how and what we communicate.
There has been a notable resurgence of interest in McLuhan's work in the last few years, fueled by the recent and continuing conjunctions between the cable companies and the regional phone companies, the appearance of magazines such as WiRed, and the development of new media models and information ecologies, many of which were spawned from MIT's Media Lab. In effect, media now begs to be redefined. In a new introduction to this edition of Understanding Media, Harper's editor Lewis Lapham reevaluates McLuhan's work in the light of the technological as well as the political and social changes that have occurred in the last part of this century.
• The Medium is the Massage
• The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man
• The Mechanical Bride - Facsimile
• Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
• The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century
• The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
• On Photography
• Gramophone, Film, Typewriter (Writing Science)
• Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
• Governing With the News, Second Edition: The News Media as a Political Institution (Studies in Communication, Media, and Public Opinion)