BizStore » Books » AIDS: Cultural Analysis / Cultural Activism (October Books)
Brand: Brand: MIT Press
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: The MIT Press
Manufacturer: The MIT Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 277
Publication Date: 1988-09-29
Publisher: The MIT Press
Studio: The MIT Press
The literature on AIDS has attempted to teach us the "facts" about this new disease or to provide a narrative account of scientific discovery and developing public health policy. But AIDS has precipitated a crisis that is not primarily medical, or even social and political; AIDS has precipitated a crisis of signification the "meaning" of AIDS is hotly contested in all of the discourses that conceptualize it and seek to respond to it. AIDS: Cultural Analysis/Cultural Activism is the first book on the subject that takes this battle over meaning as its premise.
Contributors include Leo Bersani, author of The Freudian Body; Simon Watney, who serves on the board of the Health Education Committee of London's Terrence Higgens Trust; Jan Zita Grover, medical editor at San Francisco General Hospital; Suki Ports, former executive director of the New York City Minority Task Force on AIDS; and Sander Gilman, author of Difference and Pathology.
Also included are essays by Paula A. Treichler, who teaches in the Medical School and in communications at the University of Illinois; Carol Leigh, a member of COYOTE and contributor to Sex Work; and Max Navarre, editor of the People With AIDS Coalition monthly Newsline.
In addition to these essays, the book contains a portfolio of manifestos, articles, letters, and photographs from the publications of the PWA Coalition, an interview with three members of the AIDS discrimination unit of the New York City Commission on Human Rights; and presentations for the independent video documentaries on AIDS, Testing the Limits and Bright Eyes.
• Melancholia and Moralism: Essays on AIDS and Queer Politics (MIT Press)
• How to Have Theory in an Epidemic: Cultural Chronicles of AIDS (Series Q)
• Illness as Metaphor and AIDS and Its Metaphors
• AIDS Demo Graphics
• Before Pictures
• The Queer Art of Failure (a John Hope Franklin Center Book)
• Policing Desire: Pornography, AIDS and the Media (Media studies/sexual politics)
• No Future: Queer Theory and the Death Drive (Series Q)
• Douglas Crimp: DISSS-CO (A Fragment): From Before Pictures, A Memoir of 1970s New York (Greater New York)
• The Normal Heart