BizStore » Books » A Short History of Opera, Fourth Edition
Feature: Columbia University Press
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Columbia University Press
Manufacturer: Columbia University Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 1042
Publication Date: 2003-08-15
Publisher: Columbia University Press
Release Date: 2003-08-08
Studio: Columbia University Press
• Columbia University Press
When first published in 1947, A Short History of Opera immediately achieved international status as a classic in the field. Now, more than five decades later, this thoroughly revised and expanded fourth edition informs and entertains opera lovers just as its predecessors have.
The fourth edition incorporates new scholarship that traces the most important developments in the evolution of musical drama. After surveying anticipations of the operatic form in the lyric theater of the Greeks, medieval dramatic music, and other forerunners, the book reveals the genre's beginnings in the seventeenth century and follows its progress to the present day.
A Short History of Opera examines not only the standard performance repertoire, but also works considered important for the genre's development. Its expanded scope investigates opera from Eastern European countries and Finland. The section on twentieth-century opera has been reorganized around national operatic traditions including a chapter devoted solely to opera in the United States, which incorporates material on the American musical and ties between classical opera and popular musical theater. A separate section on Chinese opera is also included.
With an extensive multilanguage bibliography, more than one hundred musical examples, and stage illustrations, this authoritative one-volume survey will be invaluable to students and serious opera buffs. New fans will also find it highly accessible and informative. Extremely thorough in its coverage, A Short History of Opera is now more than ever the book to turn to for anyone who wants to know about the history of this art form.
• A History of Opera
• Evoking Sound: Fundamentals of Choral Conducting, 2nd Edition
• The Norton Anthology of Western Music (Seventh Edition) (Vol. 2)
• 100 Great Operas And Their Stories: Act-By-Act Synopses
• French Song from Berlioz to Duparc (Dover Books on Music)
• The Norton Anthology of Western Music (Seventh Edition) (Vol. 3)
• Gianni Schicchi: Opera Vocal Score (Ricordi Opera Vocal Score)
• The New Kobbe's Opera Book
• A History of Western Music
• The Politics of Opera: A History from Monteverdi to Mozart