BizStore » Books » Food Politics: What Everyone Needs to Know
Feature: Oxford University Press USA
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Oxford University Press
Manufacturer: Oxford University Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 280
Publication Date: 2013-09-25
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Release Date: 2013-09-25
Studio: Oxford University Press
• Oxford University Press USA
The politics of food is changing fast. In rich countries, obesity is now a more serious problem than hunger. Consumers once satisfied with cheap and convenient food now want food that is also safe, nutritious, fresh, and grown by local farmers using fewer chemicals. Heavily subsidized and underregulated commercial farmers are facing stronger push back from environmentalists and consumer activists, and food companies are under the microscope. Meanwhile, agricultural success in Asia has spurred income growth and dietary enrichment, but agricultural failure in Africa has left one-third of all citizens undernourished - and the international markets that link these diverse regions together are subject to sudden disruption.
The second edition of Food Politics: What Everyone Needs to Know® has been thoroughly updated to reflect the latest developments and research on today's global food landscape, including biofuels, the international food market, food aid, obesity, food retailing, urban agriculture, and food safety. The second edition also features an expanded discussion of the links between water, climate change, and food, as well as farming and the environment. New chapters look at livestock, meat and fish and the future of food politics.
Paarlberg's book challenges myths and critiques more than a few of today's fashionable beliefs about farming and food. For those ready to have their thinking about food politics informed and also challenged, this is the book to read.
What Everyone Needs to Know® is a registered trademark of Oxford University Press.
WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW About This Series
Who it's for:
Busy people with diverse interests, ranging from college students to professionals, who wish to inform themselves in a succinct yet authoritative manner about a particular topic.
An incisive approach to a complex and timely issue, laid out in a straight-forward, question-and-answer format.
Meet Our Authors
Top experts in their given fields, ranging from an Economist correspondent to a director at the Council on Foreign Relations, you can trust our authors’ expertise and guidance.
Popular Topics in the "What Everyone Needs to Know" Series
• Agricultural and Food Controversies: What Everyone Needs to Know
• Agriculture's Ethical Horizon (Elsevier Insights)
• The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy: An Economist Examines the Markets, Power, and Politics of World Trade. New Preface and Epilogue with Updates on Economic Issues and Main Characters
• Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health (California Studies in Food and Culture)
• The Fundamentals of Ethics
• APA: The Easy Way! [Updated for APA 6th Edition]
• Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System - Revised and Updated
• Food Policy in the United States: An Introduction (Earthscan Food and Agriculture)
• The World Food Economy
• Food and Culture: A Reader