BizStore » Books » A Modern History of Japan: From Tokugawa Times to the Present, 2nd Edition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Oxford University Press
Manufacturer: Oxford University Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 416
Publication Date: 2008-11-14
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Studio: Oxford University Press
A Modern History of Japan: From Tokugawa Times to the Present, Second Edition, paints a richly nuanced and strikingly original portrait of the last two centuries of Japanese history. It takes students from the days of the shogunate--the feudal overlordship of the Tokugawa family--through the modernizing revolution launched by midlevel samurai in the late nineteenth century; the adoption of Western hairstyles, clothing, and military organization; and the nation's first experiments with mass democracy after World War I. Author Andrew Gordon offers the finest synthesis to date of Japan's passage through militarism, World War II, the American occupation, and the subsequent economic rollercoaster.
The true ingenuity and value of Gordon's approach lies in his close attention to the non-elite layers of society. Here students will see the influence of outside ideas, products, and culture on home life, labor unions, political parties, gender relations, and popular entertainment. The book examines Japan's struggles to define the meaning of its modernization, from villages and urban neighborhoods, to factory floors and middle managers' offices, to the imperial court. Most importantly, it illuminates the interconnectedness of Japanese developments with world history, demonstrating how Japan's historical passage represents a variation of a process experienced by many nations and showing how the Japanese narrative forms one part of the interwoven fabric of modern history. This second edition incorporates increased coverage of both Japan's role within East Asia--particularly with China, Korea, and Manchuria--as well as expanded discussions of cultural and intellectual history.
With a sustained focus on setting modern Japan in a comparative and global context, A Modern History of Japan, Second Edition, is ideal for undergraduate courses in modern Japanese history, Japanese politics, Japanese society, or Japanese culture.
• Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II
• Musui's Story: The Autobiography of a Tokugawa Samurai
• Governing China: From Revolution Through Reform, 2nd Edition
• Japan at War: An Oral History
• The Prison Memoirs of a Japanese Woman (Foremother Legacies Series)
• The Autobiography of Yukichi Fukuzawa
• A History of Japan, 1615-1867
• Sources of Japanese Tradition, Volume 2: 1600 To 2000; Part 2: 1868 To 2000 (Introduction to Asian Civilizations) (Pt. 2)
• Japan: A Documentary History : The Late Tokugawa Period to the Present (Japan - A Documentary History)