BizStore » Books » Snow Leopards: Biodiversity of the World: Conservation from Genes to Landscapes
Brand: Nyhus Philip J
Feature: Snow Leopards Biodiversity of the World Conservation from Genes to Landscapes
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Academic Press
Manufacturer: Academic Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 644
Publication Date: 2016-07-08
Publisher: Academic Press
Studio: Academic Press
• Snow Leopards Biodiversity of the World Conservation from Genes to Landscapes
Snow Leopards: Biodiversity of the World: Conservation from Genes to Landscapes is the only comprehensive work on the biology, behavior, and conservation status of the snow leopard, a species that has long been one of the least studied, and hence poorly understood, of the large cats.
Breakthroughs in technologies and methodologies to study this elusive cat have come rapidly, including non-invasive genetics, camera traps, and GPS-satellite collaring. The book begins with chapters on the genetic standing and taxonomy of the snow leopard, followed by chapters on their behavior and ecology. Additional contributions follow on the current and emerging threats to the species, which include longstanding concerns, such as poaching and conflicts with livestock, and new and emerging threats such as mining and climate change.
A section on conservation solutions, backed by valuable case studies, starts with an overview of the important role mountain communities play in assuring the snow leopard’s long-term persistence. In addition, chapters on the role of captive snow leopards for the conservation of the species, state-of-the-art techniques and technologies for studying and monitoring snow leopards, status reports from around the region, and future perspectives, such as transboundary conservation initiatives, international conventions (CITES, CMS, etc.), the role of the IUCN Cat Specialist Group and the Snow Leopard Network, and undertakings such as the Global Snow Leopard Forum facilitated by the World Bank are also included.
• Wild Cats of the World
• The Snow Leopard (Penguin Classics)
• Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?
• Camera Trapping for Wildlife Research (Data in the Wild)
• How to Tame a Fox (and Build a Dog): Visionary Scientists and a Siberian Tale of Jump-Started Evolution
• Snow Leopard: Stories from the Roof of the World
• Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst
• Wild Equids: Ecology, Management, and Conservation
• Curators: Behind the Scenes of Natural History Museums
• Small Wild Cats: The Animal Answer Guide (The Animal Answer Guides: Q&A for the Curious Naturalist)